Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-Actor Will Forte says completed "Coyote vs. Acme" film is likely never coming out -FutureFinance
NovaQuant-Actor Will Forte says completed "Coyote vs. Acme" film is likely never coming out
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-06 03:40:03
A verdict seems to have NovaQuantbeen reached in the case of "Coyote vs. Acme," the Warner Bros. Discovery courtroom comedy based on the popular Looney Tunes character.
The movie will likely never come out, lead actor Will Forte said in a statement on social media Thursday.
Originally slated for a theatrical release last July, the film was reportedly shelved in November last year, according to Deadline.
Democratic Rep. Joaquin Castro of Texas alleged last year that the hiatus was part of a wider pattern of shelving films for tax breaks.
"The [Warner Bros. Discovery] tactic of scrapping fully made films for tax breaks is predatory and anti-competitive," Castro wrote on social media in November.
Following fan and industry outrage over the film's unceremonious fate, Netflix, Amazon and Paramount screened the film and "submitted handsome offers," none of which were accepted, The Wrap reported earlier this month.
"When I first heard that our movie was getting 'deleted,' I hadn't seen it yet," Forte wrote, addressing the film's cast and crew. "So I was thinking what everyone else must have been thinking: this thing must be a hunk of junk. But then I saw it. And it's incredible."
The SNL alum referenced the movie's high score among test audiences, and he lamented the studio's decision to bring the project to a premature end.
"The people who paid for this movie can obviously do whatever they want with it," Forte wrote, adding, "It doesn't mean I have to like it … Or agree with it."
"Please know that all the years and years of hard work, dedication and love that you put into this movie shows in every frame," he concluded.
Based on a satirical 1990 New Yorker article by Ian Frazier, the film stars Forte and John Cena alongside the animated Wile E. Coyote, who is suing the Acme Corporation over oft-backfiring products with which Coyote attempted to capture the Road Runner in the classic Looney Tunes cartoons.
"Mr. Coyote states that on occasions too numerous to list in this document he has suffered mishaps with explosives purchased of Defendant," reads the humor piece, written in the style of a court docket.
This is the third time Warner Bros. Discovery has axed a film in its final stages, with "Scoob! Holiday Haunt" and "Batgirl" being trimmed off the studio's balance sheet in 2022.
"As the Justice Department and @FTC revise their antitrust guidelines they should review this conduct," Castro wrote in his November social media post. "As someone remarked, it's like burning down a building for the insurance money."
- In:
- Hollywood
- Movies
- Warner Bros.
- Coyote
Rishi Rajagopalan is a social media associate producer and content writer for CBS News.
veryGood! (72887)
Related
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Israeli forces raid Gaza as airstrikes drive up civilian death toll before expected invasion
- Back from the dead? Florida man mistaken as dead in fender bender is very much alive
- Takeaways from AP’s reporting on Chinese migrants who traverse the Darién Gap to reach the US
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Federal judge reimposes limited gag order in Donald Trump’s 2020 election interference case
- The UAW reaches a tentative deal with GM, the last holdout of Detroit's Big 3
- 5 Things podcast: Israel expands ground operation into Gaza, Matthew Perry found dead
- 2 killed, 3 injured in shooting at makeshift club in Houston
- Biden plans to step up government oversight of AI with new 'pressure tests'
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- On the anniversary of a deadly Halloween crush, South Korean families demand a special investigation
- Full transcript of Face the Nation, Oct. 29. 2023
- Chargers vs. Bears Sunday Night Football highlights: Justin Herbert has big night in win
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Less snacking, more satisfaction: Some foods boost levels of an Ozempic-like hormone
- Matthew Perry's Friends community reacts to his death at 54
- Streak over: Broncos stun Chiefs to end NFL-worst 16-game skid in rivalry
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
For Palestinian and Israeli Americans, war has made the unimaginable a reality
The 411 on MPG: How the US regulates fuel economy for cars and trucks. (It's complicated)
Takeaways from the AP’s investigation into aging oil ships
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
What Kirk Cousins' episode of 'Quarterback' can teach us about parenting athletes
National First Responders Day deals, discounts at Lowe's, Firehouse Subs, Hooters and more
One city’s surprising tactic to reduce gun violence: solving more nonfatal shootings